What I do
I am an experienced freelance designer, who specialises
in high-profile editorial work. I’m the art director of
Sight&Sound magazine, and I’ve been designing for
this prestigious film monthly since 2001.
My other magazine experience include Frieze, Eye,
and Historic Scotland.
I also design books, including Ingrès, Géricault and
The Art Museum for Phaidon, andDecorative Art and
Industrial Design A-Z for Taschen. I have designed a
number of advertorials for Variety magazine.
What this involves
- Making standout and comprehensive corporate identities
- Creating striking, original layouts
- Overseeing major editorial redesigns
- Working closely with writers and editors
- Commissioning and briefing photographers and illustrators
- Meeting deadlines under pressure
- Negotiating with paper suppliers and printers
What I've done
Since starting work as designer in 1999, I’ve also taught
design to post-graduate and undergraduate students
at the London College of Communication and the
London College of Fashion. Written for Eye Magazine (and here)
and been a council member for the International
Society for Typographic Designers.
I was a staff designer at UNA (London) designers, working
as part of a busy and collaborative team on a number of
different projects, including work for Tate Modern,
Quantum Publishing and The British Council.